This page contains information about ways in which you can engage in the tech field. Whether you are an information systems major, CS major/minor, Arts Tech major, Data Science major, or are pursuing one of Millikin’s certificates, there are plenty of ways to gain real-world experience outside of the classroom. Check out the opportunities listed below and feel free to reach out to me by email or catching me in the hallway to discuss these further.
- Emerging Tech Summit: February 22 and 23.
- The Girl Scouts are hosting a Robot Takeover Night on Friday, March 29 from 7:30-8:30 for 6th – 12th graders. They are looking for student mentors during this event. Let RJ know if you are interested in attending.
- Professor Ed Weber and/or Professor RJ Podeschi will plan on taking a team from a client consulting project to the annual Ball State I.S. Project and Case Competition in Muncie, Indiana April 12 – 14. Student teams wanting to compete in just the case competition are welcome as well.
- Interested in competing in database design, Microsoft Office, system analysis, or cyber security? Consider the USITCC Competition in Galveston, TX from April 4-6. There will be a cost involved, but there may be funds to help offset your expenses. Talk to RJ if you are interested in this travel and competition opportunity.
- Interested in video games? There is a new registered student organization on campus that has just formed.
- What do you want to see for outside-of-class opportunities? Speakers? Alums? An evening hackathon on some specific topic/problem? Let Professor Ed Weber or Professor RJ Podeschi know.
Projects and Internships and Full-time Jobs
- Summer research fellowship in Baton Rouge at REU. Research in the computational sciences. $5,000 stipend. Applications due 2/15.
- Anthem Press is looking to set up an artificial intelligence incubator initiative in Seattle. Looking to find a paid intern. Person will work remotely and should be a quick learner, self-starter, proactive, excellent researcher and communicator.
- Homework Hangout is seeking one or more students to assist them in implementing the database built from last year’s IS370 course.
- The Millikin Marketing department is looking for student workers/interns for web development to work on the Millikin website. Experience with HTML and CSS is preferred.
- A direct mail and marketing firm in town is looking for someone to learn how to send and prepare files for digital output for print mailings.
- An agricultural publishing company in town needs assistance in developing reports (think SQL) to retrieve data from a database.
- IT Summer Internship with HSHS Medical in Springfield.
- Millikin’s IT department is looking for part-time student workers in the IT Help Desk.
- Full-time entry level IT positions at Bayer/Monsanto in St. Louis or other locations.
- Full-time entry level IT positions as well as summer internship positions at ADM. Go to Job Fair on February 27 to learn more.
- Internship and Full-time opportunities at Van Drunen Farms in Momence, IL.
- Tyson Foods Community Internship Program. Looking for students to engage in IT Advocacy in Chicago and Sioux City areas. Apply here.